How to write for a website
Building your own website around a niche that you understand is a good idea, if it is a subject niche that you are passionate about you should find it easier to create content that will appeal to your website visitors.
Having said that there is a right way and a wrong way to do it, read on and find out how to write for a website.
Why a website?
I’m presuming that you have a website or that you are thinking of building a website, either way having a website is a great way to connect with people who are interested in the same things as yourself. Having a passion for your subject will be a big help going forward in your writing.
By reading my how to write for a website guide you will understand that there is a right way to write and a wrong way to write for a website.
Is writing easy?
Writing comes easier to some people more than others, having a good command of the English language isn’t a necessity but it does help, English is the most spoken language worldwide.
If you want to be a freelance writer and earn commissions by writing articles for other websites then this I suggest that you do this writing course, it will also teach you about SEO or search engine optimization.
The course will give you a good understanding of not just how to write but also how to find a market for your writing, I’m assuming that you want to make money from your writing?
The writing course goes into great detail on writing styles, how to write articles quickly, how to write to make extra cash, how to write as a career and so much more.
The writing course is designed for people who not only want to know how to write fir a website but also how to write articles and get paid for your time.
To be honest your website will never be found by the search engines unless you are knowledgeable about SEO.
What is the point of writing for your own website if nobody gets to read your stuff?
SEO is short for search engine optimization or in other words writing in such a way that the robots from search engines like Google,Yahoo,Bing,Duck Go-go fully understand what your writing is about.Search engines exist in order to show the most relevant results for any question that is asked on the internet.
For example, a person is looking for information on Bernese mountain dogs, not just any information but in this example specific information on a cruciate ligament damage to that breed of dog.
Every body has there own way of asking questions so in this example the dog owner will type into their browser ” bernese cruciate ligament damage” the search engine will take them to the most relevant website for that keyword.
What are keywords?
To put it in simple terms keywords are words or phrases that people write when they are searching for information on a service, product, or a subject that they have an interest in.
If you want to become a successful writer the I recommend that you spend some time learning about keywords, you need to know how keywords work, otherwise you could waste a lot of time.
May I suggest that you spend more time on keyword research than any other part of writing for a website, keywords are what drive people to read your content, trust me you can spend a lot of time writing using the wrong keywords that just won’t rank in the search engines.
I would like to recommend that you use this keyword tool to help you understand the low hanging fruit and why you should write your content around profitable keywords.
Making money from your writing
Again I’m assuming that you want to learn how to write for a website to make money? If that is the case may I recommend a very simple way to make ,money from your writing by becoming an affiliate marketer.
What is an affiliate marketer?
An affiliate marketer is someone like you or me that likes to write on their website about a niche subject that they like or have a passion for, so when writing for their website or blog they will insert what is called an affiliate link within the content.
An affiliate link is simply a link to a product or service associated with your niche website or blog, if a website visitor clicks on that link they will be shown a product or service. Should they decide to purchase something from your site you will be rewarded with a commission.
It doesn’t cost you any money to become an affiliate marketer it does help with your costs of website and hosting.
Now you understand
Hopefully by now you understand how to write for a website and just as important why you should write for a website in terms of getting paid for your writing.
Please read my 27 suggestions on the best practises for writing for a website, if you follow these principles you will become a successful writer as your writing starts to mature and you become an authority writer in your niche.
1. Start your first page by using a template in a site like WordPress it will give you a structure a beginning, a middle and an end.
2. Write as if you were talking to a person, communication is the key to engaging people in what you have to say.
3.Dont make it complicated, make it easy to understand to the average Joe.
4. Make it readable, write so that your content flows and is easy to read.
5. Make your content short and sweet, not more than three or four sentences.
6. Use bullet points or numbers.
7. Show your knowledge about your subject but not in an arrogant way.
8. Always keep your audience on mind, remember they have found your site because of a keyword that they have put into the search bar of their browser.
10. Use a good keyword tool to identify high value keywords.
11. Write content based on those keywords, insert the keyword up to 4 times in your article.
12. Don’t put the same keyword in your content more than four times, it will be considered keyword stuffing and your site will be penalized.
13.Write to solve a problem for your reader.
14. Write product reviews people look for them, be descriptive and fair in your review.
15. Good quality content needs to be balanced, in other words you don’t want to appear to be promoting a particular product even though you are, don’t put too many affiliate links in your content, I would suggest that you put three per article.
16. Write as much detail around the keyword that you have chosen, I suggest that you write no less than 1500 words per article.
17. Provide your website visitors with well researched quality unique content that will answer their questions, at the end you can recommend a product or service associated with your niche.
18. Use images to break up your content and make it more attractive to your visitors, however don’t just grab images from the internet before checking whether or not you have permission to use that image, the last thing you need is someone suing you.
19. Have a goal in mind for each page, is there a particular product that you believe is worth purchasing, write your content around that product but in a gentle kind of way.
20.Use H1 for your main keyword at the top of the page.
21. Use H2 fir all headings after the first H1
22. Link each page to three other pages on your site, do it in a natural way.
23. Always think how you are going to set up a call to action on your page, whether it is a link to an affiliate product a banner ad or an image that they can click on to be taken to the affiliate link.
24. Do not go on the internet and copy somebody’s else’s content
It would be just do easy to copy and paste someone else’s content, however this is the number one rule do not plagiarize, your website will be penalized it could even be removed from website search engines.
Be original that way your site is original and will be picked up by Google and other search engines.
25. Organize your paragraphs
Write about one idea per paragraph, don’t start on another subject half way through don’t ramble.
26. Use a clickable table of contents at the top of each page so that your reader can find stuff easier.
27. When you are finished writing get it checked for mistakes etc., then have it checked for plagiarism.